Sunday, June 24, 2007

Definition of A Nation Based on Ethnicity or Sociology?

Reading about Quebec and its relationship with the rest of Canada reminds me of my motherland Taiwan and its relationship with China. I see a bit of similarity between the two situations. Are Quebecois Canadian? I am not going to answer that question. Am i Chinese or Taiwanese? What are the differences exactly? Why do Taiwanese people are so keen about being recognized as independent from China when all our children (myself and all my friends included!), generations from generations, learn so much about Chinese culture, history, and geography (so detailed that the curriculum is even down to every single little province n' city of China that we have to memorize!) In school? This is such a huge contradiction. I am curious: "a definition of a (Quebecois) nation based on ethnicity rather than sociology". This could totally be applied to Taiwan/China. Ugh. Politics fascinate me but also exhaust me sometimes.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home