Thursday, February 22, 2007

North Korea Gets to Keep Nuclear Weapon

As my undergraduate career is reaching to an end, I have decided that, starting the month of February 2007, I am going to tune in a lot more than ever for world's news articles. Not only that, I am going to make an effort to write a short response to every single piece just for the sake of brainstorming and applying the materials that I learn in school to a real-life setting. I read lots of things on the internet. Occasionally I read Canadian news. I mostly read Arts & Entertainment articles. That's got to change now since this blog is meant to be as intellectually stimulating as possible. So today's article is on "North Korea Gets to Keep Nuclear Weapons".

This is an opinion piece so the news discourse embedded in it might be different from other typical mainstream sources. However, one thing that the columnist does which resembles to many other mainstream journalists is that she follows the characteristics of the regime of journalistic "objectivity" by presenting stories of both sides. She gives a brief history of what American government has done about North Korea. She also talks a bit about the nuclear weapon activities engaged by the previous and current North Korea leaders. Because Hamilton Spector is considered a mainstream news source, its journalists tend to be as "objective" as possible. On the other hand, in an independent news source, usually the journalist does not bother to include stories of both sides. He/she would rather present what he/she believes is the accurate version of the story and then takes a stand on it. I am particularly interested in bush's remark on North Korea. I think what he says about Korea actually says a lot about himself. Calling North Korea "Axis of Evil" and yet still letting the country keep the nuclear weapons, bush, in that sense, is abetting the evil country. He is a partner in crime and yet he calls North Korea the evil one. I sense this huge irony. While bush is so obsessed with the Middle East and claims that America should tame this region of evilness and threats to mankind, he lets North Korea have it better?

I could be wrong, but I am guessing that America keeps North Korea close to them for one reason - to have some "back-up" in case in the future another nation catches up with the states - or even conquers the states economically. In my opinion, this fits Bush's mentality quite well. Of course not every other president is going to be so war-loving like Bush. I sure hope the next president is more peaceful. Again, this is just my two cents.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home