Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Serious Journalism Inspires Me

Dan Gardner is officially my favourite Canadian journalist.

So dear readers: tell me - what separates serious journalism from unscrupulous trash? Dan has provided the answer here on Ottawa Citizen. He's got it all and definitely says it better than I would ever have.

One thing he neglects to point out, though, is the gender ideology embedded in the news discourse. Has anyone noticed how this barmaid is portrayed? Shame on us Canadian girls, honestly. Her dream career is wha? To be a playmate? To be seen on the pages of Playboy magazines. That is your dream? I would like to blame the media for depicting you as a typical white trash girl who's got nothing but big breasts. I certainly hope you are better than D-Cup and G-String. What really cracks me up is that this cowboy barmaid says she doesn't mind considering being a princess as a career option. Since when marrying the royalties is a form of employment? I am so distressed about how the media describe us women as so money-oriented gold diggers. What is worse is that the media constantly imply that this is the princess material (since one of the Prince is so fond of her) and the role model for women (considering how so many women in this world are so shallow and aspire to be models/princesses). Really? Is this really the fate for us women? Must we have D-Cup and show our skin? Can't we have brains and remarkable characters?

Maybe Dan Gardner will have the answer to my question.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home