Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Did God Grow Tired of Them?

I worked at a Starbucks in Port Coquitlam when I was younger. I didn't make much back then, but I didn't spend much, either. I sponsored a little girl from Africa under the care of Plan Canada (Foster Parents). My father wanted me to focus on school, so I compromised and never worked again until I finished school. Lucky for me, I landed on this job that I absolutely adored with UBC two weeks after I wrote my last final exam. Ever since I started making money (again), I've been making donations to different organizations for different purposes. For example, in May, I went to a fashion show where all proceeds went to British Columbia Breast Cancer Foundation. Likewise, in July, I supported the clean water project in Africa, which was facilitated by Plan Canada (Foster Parents). My most recent donation was made to a group of disabled, handicapped children in Surrey, so they could have the money to have a Christmas like any other normal kid.

I've begun to think why so many fortunate individuals in this world refuse to be generous to those who are in need. It doesn't hurt them to spend hundreds of dollars on a pair of designer jeans, but giving a few dollars to charities seems like some sort of torture to them. I don't understand.

The Thai girls forced into sex trade may be total strangers to them. The African babies infected with HIV the moments they come to this world may fail to win their attention because, let's face it, they ain't their babies. I can go on and on, but think about it. Any of them could have been you, me, or the person next to us, at a different time, a different place, don't you think?

Labels:

1 Comments:

At February 17, 2008 at 12:50 PM , Blogger Indiana said...

Bravo, Amanda, for your generosity and sensitivity.

I think others don't donate because they are told that they themselves "don't have enough" as it is by the media, advertising, etc. North American culture is crippled by the notion of self-entitlement--that we all need a car, a house, designer jeans and all the other fodder that has now become implicit to the "American Dream." We're all so focused on keeping up appearances--so that god forbid someone think (gasp!) we have other priorities than having silky hair--that we've lost sight of the real human problems out there.

Not all of us know how to count our blessings and be satisfied with what we already have and the limitless possibilities of the democracy in which we live.

We'll get there, but I think it will take a huge blow to our economy--in the form of a wide-scale natural disaster--before the notion of the global village of care and compassion, where the sick and infirm are cared for adequately, takes hold.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home