Monday, November 12, 2007

Remember, Remember, the 10th of November

I used to love Remembrance Day when I was in high school. Not only did I get a day off, I, along with the school band, had a chance to perform in front of 2000 students during the special assembly. I was young and new to the country. The school gym wasn't exactly the perfect place for a bunch of teenagers to get together and reflect on our history. To my surprise, I was far more drawn to the atmosphere back then than I am now. This year, I almost forgot to wear my poppy. When Friday came, the only thing on my mind was how to take advantage of this long weekend. Work's getting busy and will be ridiculously insane by mid-December. Seriously. Still, it doesn't steal my guilt. Oh, I wish. How could I possibly neglect to put my poppy on my shirt? It was such a simple gesture, and yet it was not on my top priority list. Did I need the Centennial band and special assembly to remind me of this important day in our Canadian history? Did many other Canadians feel this way? Ugh. Let the shame eat me away.

It has been almost 100 years since WWI ended. WWII was 60, 70 years ago. We celebrate Remembrance Day every year in the name of honouring our fallen soldiers, but please help me understand why we keep sending troops to Afghanistan. I read about a great number our ceremonies honouring those who've served and inspirational quotes from politicians saying "Remembrance Day is a time to give thanks not only to our fallen soldiers, but also to give thanks to our serving members", yet why are they still not ending the war? I see nothing but contradiction and hypocrisy.

Remember, remember, the 10th of November, that on this day, we honour those who have sacrificed their lives, so others like you and me may live. But will we never put an end to these sacrifices of our own people in the middle east?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home